Sunday, November 6, 2011

Project 2- Blog 6


Design Development


Exemplar Research

After looking for inspirational elliptical forms I came across the Danish Pavillion by BIG architects. I found that the spiral design embodied the beautiful architectural complexity that I was looking for. The form has a beautiful elegance that uplifts the spirit and fosters a sense of play.



One of the most exciting aspects of the design is how the people explore and occupy the architecture inside, outside and on top of. This is a perfect scenario for my auditorium as the idea that the public can surround and occupy all areas of the building is a democratic gesture of inclusion and engagement.

The spiral/helix form also creates a concentrated centre that is ideal for an auditorium space that can be overlooked by people occupying the top of the building. This creates the expanded debate that is part of my infrastructure strategy.



Structural Analysis

The steel structure of the Danish Pavillion consists of a modular system that can be adapted for a mobile auditorium, however, the complexity of the design means that the construction time will be substantially longer than the initial concepts I explored. Looking at the first exemplar and It's scale and construction time of 2 weeks I believe that my smaller mobile structure could be assembled in a similar amount of time.






No comments:

Post a Comment